Progress DB 9.1 (Unix) -> 9.1D (Windows)

ni_x_ter

Hi,

I have a db dataset which is on a Progress 9.1 Unix Platform. I am wondering if I am able to "backup" this database, then restore it for use on a 9.1D Windows Platform. I am unable to use a ODBC connection as the two machines are not networked. I am trying to understand if there is a way to physically backup the data, move it on a portable HD and restore it to the windows platform, much like when backing up an MS-SQL database.

If this is possible, can someone give me some pointers on how I might go about this. Many thanks.

vinod_home

No you cannot. You would have to dump and load the data. You dump the database table definitions, table data and current sequence values on unix, ftp them to windows. Create a new empty database, load the table definitions, table data and sequence values.

ni_x_ter

Great thanks. I am new to Progress, so could you give me some help on the process to dump and load the data in UNIX and creating the new tables etc in Windows. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You are in the wrong forum for that -- "database administration" would be much more appropriate. You might want to post your question there. You can save some time by also posting what licenses you have available (use the "showcfg" command to get a list). That has an impact on how you would approach this task. It would also be helpful to know why you want to do this.

FWIW 9.1D is ancient, obsolete and unsupported. You should upgrade. The current release is OpenEdge 10.2B.