Progress Compiler version error

anandknr

HI all,

When i tried to compile a .p file from my progress server running on version 9, I came across the below error.

This version of PROGRESS does not allow compiles. (471)
R-code file not located for "myfile.p". (473)

So I have to conclude that I can't compile any .p files using this progress version but only run a .r file .... :mad::mad:

How could i compile my program file ??? Any thoughts, much appreciated.

grunnpi

maybe your server is using "-r" parameter on command line, preventing it to compile source code.

on our application, on production site, appserver are setuped in order to use only .r avoiding some unwanted source code to be executed.

Stefan

HI all,
So I have to conclude that I can't compile any .p files using this progress version but only run a .r file .... :mad::mad:

It not the progress version that will not allow you to compile, it is the progress license you have installed. You must have installed a development license to be able to run uncompiled code or to be able to compile code.

RealHeavyDude

Your conclusion is correct.

In order to be able to compile you need to have a developer license installed. Usually on server machines there are not developer licenses installed. There are different flavors of developer licenses available. In order to check which licenses you have installed you can run the showcfg.exe which will produce a list of the installed products.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

anandknr

Hi RHD,

I hav only 2 components available for installation, Client Networking and ProVISION.
I have already installed the Client Networking. Will installing the ProVISION will help me to get the compiler?

Thanks,
Anand

anandknr

Hi all,

Where should i check the -r param,
I am not using a pf file since i am taking the compiler directly from windows start menu (start > All Programs > Progress > Client ).

I have only 2 components available for installation, Client Networking and ProVISION.
I have already installed the Client Networking. Will installing the ProVISION will help me to get the compiler?

Thanks,
Anand

anandknr

Hi RHD,

Ok Thanks....:)
And what about the product, Personnel Database ...Is it a developer or run time product ?

I have tried to install this and now able to access the procedure editor via Start > All programs > Progress >Data Administration > Tools > Procedure Editor.

But still i cant execute any commands there and its showing the error
Compiler is not available in this version of progress (494) .

Do i get the same error even after i install the ProVISION product ? Any way i will try to install it and let you know the output.

Regards,
Anand

RealHeavyDude

Personal database is a run time license. IIRC only the ProVISION (which was renamed to OpenEdge Studio in OpenEdge 10) and the 4GL Development product are development licenses - these are the only two that allow you to compile. Unless you install either of the two you are not able to compile any code that is not encrypted.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.