[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] User: cardimontana

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cardimontana

cardimontana How To Make Straightline Quilting Straightline quilting can produce modern looking projects and this technique is quite straightforward, to be honest. As with other quilting projects, you need a top layer, a back layer, and another layer that plays as the batting. The accessories include thread, a walking foot, pins, and tape. Straight line quilting can create modern-looking projects The walking foot is optional in this case but if you have one, the task will become a lot easier. This foot comes standard with my sewing machine. If you want to buy one that has this foot, read this best rated sewing machines for beginners to find out. First, make a quilt sandwich with the batting in the middle. Put the back piece on a large surface with the wrong side facing up. Use tape on the edges to keep the back in place. Next, put the batting on. Smooth out both layers with your hands. The batting is generally a bit larger than the top layer. Now put the top layer on with the right side facing up. Smooth out the whole piece again. Use a lot of pins to hold all the layers. When you are done pinning, carefully remove the tapes. Before you pick the whole piece up and transfer it to the sewing machine, you need to test first. Use another sandwich with scrap pieces and sew a few lines on it. I always try to use the same fabric to test for the most accurate result, which means creating a prototype of the main project with the same material. My top tip here is to decrease the pressure and set the stitches to be longer than usual. Not many machines can do this but if yours can, I recommend making both the adjustments to prevent the seams from being puckering later. Adjust the tension and the stitch length I have more control over the stitch length and tension with this best starter sewing machine I am using, if you want one like mine, see here: best starter sewing machine for more information. This step allows me to see if the thread, the needle, or the tension I set are appropriate. Change to another needle for this quilt. In fact, always use new needle whenever you start sewing a new project. Test everything and remember to look at both sides to make sure there is no mishap here and there. If you notice something strange, readjust the machine and run the test again until you get the perfect stitch line you desire. When you work on your main piece, go slowly so that you can control the speed and where the project goes. When you meet a pin on the way, stop the machine with the needle in the down position to prevent the project from shifting. When you are done with a stitch line, clip the thread tail to avoid them getting caught in the next line you make. So you see, straightline quilting does not require any special equipment, a best sewing machine for beginners can handle the job well.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.