[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: Transaction timeout now available in ABL ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

We regularly struggle with long-running transactions in our ABL which will lock records, creating conflicts with other processes and the end result is that the entire system comes to a halt (and sometimes crashes). The problem normally escalates gradually over the course of an hour or more. I know that we can monitor VST's or use promon to diagnose these types of issues. I think some customers build their own custom scripts to do this type of database management. (see Active Transaction - Forum - OpenEdge RDBMS - Progress Community ... I have looked for it frequently, but I've never found a "built-in" way to configure badly designed ABL transactions to have a timeout in HP-UX. A timeout would be better than a database-wide problem which is instigated by a single misbehaving client. This missing transaction timeout functionality has never been available, as far as I know. (At least not for those of us that use shared-memory ABL connections to a database running on HP-UX.) But I recently I've discovered that Progress does now have a "ClientTimeOut" feature !!! This feature will be available to us if/when we migrate our databases out of HP-UX to Windows , and if/when we start using client-server connections (rather than shared memory.) Here are the details: Progress KB - How to use the ClientTimeOut Startup Parameter. The ClientTimeOut parameter allows the database remote server process to determine whether a remote ABL client has been inactive for a specified period of time and if so, the remote server disconnects that remote client and backs out any related active transaction releasing associated locks/latches it may be holding at the time. Client "inactivity" is treated as the client not accessing the database for a specified period of time. Does anyone have experience with this? It is unfortunate that it was never available to us in HP-UX or we would have investigated it long time ago. It would be helpful to hear any real-world experiences with "ClientTimeOut", especially in the context of PASOE.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.