[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Timezone logic in OE ABL

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Fechner

Mind sharing details of the issues you ran into? Sent from Nine Von: dbeavon Gesendet: Donnerstag, 24. Januar 2019 18:42 An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] Timezone logic in OE ABL Update from Progress Community dbeavon Has anyone worked with apps that need to interact with users from multiple timezones? I find the existing ABL programming API to be very cumbersome in the area of datetime's and timezone conversion. I hope that Progress will consider building some OO classes whose semantics are easier to work with. One of the bigger problems is that certain data-types are named exactly the same as functions that operate on those types (eg. DATETIME and DATETIME-TZ). Additionally, certain of those functions have a number of overloaded variations which work in substantially different ways, despite having the same name. Additionally some of these functions interact auto-magically with a "session" variable, SESSION:TIMEZONE , which is an offset in minutes from UTC. This "feature" has been a source of actual bugs in prior versions of OE ABL. Apparently Progress has trouble with this API as well. Whenever I'm working with datetimes and converting them back and forth between UTC and the local timezone of the user, I have to refer to a bunch of my previously written (& trusted) code to avoid introducing bugs. The same is true for other members of my team, who currently consider me the "timezone expert". This stuff is not confusing except insofar as the ABL programming API makes it so. There should be no need of a "timezone expert". Perhaps it would be better if the questions were posted to this forum, so that one day these ABL-timezone-related questions will come up in google search results. View online You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum. To stop receiving updates from only this thread, go here . Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.