[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: SQLite for temp tables

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ske

Gus said: >> use a dedicated local OpenEdge database for that. dbeavon said: > I already am using a dedicated local database. The client-session TT's essentially act like a dedicated local database. Suggesting improved functionality is always fun. That's my favorite pass-time too. Like being able to reconnect temp-tables. It could be interesting to make the handling of temp-tables and regular databases more alike, so you could create tables in a local permanent database from within ABL code as easily as temp-tables today. And why not also make it possible to dynamically create new (or temporary) tables inside a regular permanent database using similar ABL code as we have today for temp-tables? (Rather then explicitly manipulating schema tables.) And then it would just be a matter of design choice whether any particular table would be permanent or temporary and whether it would be stored locally or in any particular permanent database. However, I guess any such improvements would take a couple of years to get delivered, even if accepted. Adding built-in functionality for SQLite would be even further off, I guess. (But trying to build on the suggestions for implementing some interface to SQLite in custom code would seem attainable.) But I don't see that you have told us any reason why you don't just set up an extra local OpenEdge database on each server, to use in stead of your temp-tables? (As long as it is intended for use on servers as you described it, and not on clients.) You could still have your main database on another server. This seems to be the solution that would be recommended within the current set of tooling available. Sometime you have to choose to use the tools that are actually already available and working well, rather than trying to "fight the system" to force it into working the way you (or I) would like it to work in an ideal world. (My experience is that fighting the system is rarely worth it. Except for those occasions when you find some loophole that actually works well.) Also, I would not expect Progress to take any interrest in these suggestions without even being provided with any such reason as to why the current facilities are insufficient…

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.