[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Schema Maintenance in SQL Server (Comparing "Pro2SQL" vs. "SQL DataServer" products)

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil Treeby

>>>> in the less periodic syncs on our non-production databases ... >> Does this mean you are resync'ing the entire database on a periodic basis? Why is that? Can't you just bring down the copies of the databases from production via backup/restore (both on the SQL and OE side of things)? Ah, no, I meant the schema. We have no real reason to keep the non-production SQL data in step, for our BI team's development and testing purposes, as long as there is data and Pro2 replication is working, they're okay. >> Have you had to open any tech support tickets with Progress about issues and challenges with PRO2? Not in a long time - probably since Pro2 was still a Bravepoint product prior to Bravepoint being acquired by Progress. We've made a lot of custom tweaks and bug-fixes to the Pro2 source code we have (and I must re-iterate - the version we have is several years old at this point). Others might have put in a support call. >> Have you had any issues related to the fact that the design of PRO2 is based on ROWID -based replication? (I.e. is it forcing you to resync more often than you would otherwise because ROWID's are changed?) The only way ROWIDs would change is on a dump-and-load of a table, and we don't do that normally. ASCII dump-and-load from OE to SQL using Pro2 is something I learned a lot about (and streamlined to some degree) in recent years, but it can still be time-consuming depending on the size of the table. >> Are you also considering the efforts of other people in your company too? I'm wondering, for example, if there are other engineers who are also participating in some parts of the effort. (... but perhaps only in their development environment.) I'm trying to get other engineers involved - so far our Progress / SQL dba team has taken up some slack, I am trying to get our Dev team involved more when it comes to the initial creation of schema changes and new replication triggers. I'm trying to scale back my role from "Mr Pro2" to "Mr Keeps Pro2 Running but other people worry about the content". >> It sounds like you are generally satisfied with PRO2, right? In the absence of any similar product, it does what it needs to do in a mostly efficient manner. I imagine a more recent version - especially one that is able to leverage CDC - would work better.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.