[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: licensing question ("client networking")

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil Treeby

Client Networking is the minimum required standalone runtime license to either connect to a database on a remote server (using -H -S), or run r-code, whether that is a GUI client user, or a batch job (prowin.exe -b OR _progres.exe -b) running on a work server. Typically out of an abundance of caution I will always install Client Networking alongside any other license. I can't speak for others' experience, but I would expect if you have x users licensed on your RDBMS license, you will need to have x Client Networking licenses as well, one per possible connection. Maybe the other way around? Similarly because each Client Networking could potentially connect to an AppServer (traditional or PASOE) you would need x AppServer/PASOE licenses as well. In addition there are two client start up parameters that can force running using a particular license, and if you don't have that license installed, you will get an error: -rr forces a "runtime-only" client (i.e. Client Networking) to be used. Say you have PDSOE installed, but not Client Networking. Even though PDSOE has all the functionality of Client Networking, you will still get an error if you try to run "prowin.exe -rr", if you don't explicitly install Client Networking as well. This may be the same for AppServer or PASOE licenses as well. Even though they're essentially just runtime clients with additional functionality for Admin Server etc, they're not actual Client Networking licenses. -rq forces the client to run under the Query/RESULTS license. Again if it's not explicitly installed, you will get an error. Even if you have a license installed that allows you to run RESULTS! So I can run "prowin.exe -p results.p" without a problem with my PDSOE license. But "prowin.exe -rq -p results.p" results in an error. I honestly don't know why these parameters exist or why anyone would choose to use them (though I've found instances here where they are used - and I get rid of them when I find them).

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.