[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: licensing question ("client networking")

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> you can probably get Client Networking as a concurrent or named user license. Thanks for this. What about a remote client/server batch (background) worker session that isn't even associated with a particular user? What about a remote batch (-b) that only uses SOAP or REST (and no actual connectivity to a database)? Is that a different type of license? What about running a _progres batch from a server that is already licensed for PASOE by core? I'm assuming that the KB's are there for people to learn what the licenses are for. But I'm not finding enough of the KB's to make complete sense of this "client networking". >but all other clients seem to have an additional cost associated. Classic AppServer, PASOE, Client Networking, etc. OK, that is pretty clear. My primary concern was whether PASOE could connect via client-server for free, without an additional "client networking" purchase. I found another article that seems to say PASOE includes client networking. ie. PASOE is... "An integrated application server for all types of clients including Progress ABL(Client Networking and WebClient )," See Progress KB - What is in a PASOE license? > I have never walked away from a Progress license purchase thinking, "Sweet - I just got a really good deal." But we do get a quality product with quality support. I agree. Thanks for the help. We've experienced some turnover in the Progress salesreps that we've been interacting with over the past two years. What is clear to me is that, in order to plan for your deployment costs, we need to understand licensing for ourselves as well. It is helpful to rely on salesreps, assuming they really understand the licensing themselves, and you don't hear different things when transitioning from one salesrep to the next.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.