[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: I need a basic understanding of how to to include progress files into .html (Webspeed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

egarcia

Hello, > The compilation of a .html SpeedScript file (HTML + embedded ABL code) generates a temporary .w file which then compiled into a .r. The HTML code then is written out using {&OUT}. This allows for dynamic code that combines HTML and ABL. When you use the wsoptions / include, you are telling the WebTools to generate a .i file instead of a .w/.r file. You can use the Compile File option in WebTools to and save the temporary .w file. This .w file includes e4gl.i and has additional code. If you were to use wsoptions / include with the same .html file. You would see that the .i does not have the extra code. The idea of the wsoptions / include is that you would have an ABL include file with the HTML code {&OUT}. As others have said, in modern web development, it is better to separate the UI from the data and generally you would not write SpeedScript files. You can access the data using AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML) which nowadays corresponds to async calls to JSON data via REST. With OpenEdge, you have multiple ways to implement REST access: - REST support with WebHandlers (available with PASOE starting in 11.6) - REST support with REST mapping - REST support with Progress Data Objects (which can be consumed by the JSDO in JavaScript) I hope this helps.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.