[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: How to find CLASS definition file .cls to be compiled before compiling .p

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dmitri Levin

It looks like I started a big conversation in the area where I absolutely know nothing. Before we started CLASSES, if a program does not recompile then something is wrong in it or it's includes. Now with CLASSES, if a program does not recompile then the problem could be in CLASS definition and who knows were it is. While include file(s) are written in the program code, class definition is not. That is where I am coming from. When we comile all code, we first compile all .cls files and then all .p files. BTW is .cls a stadart Progress extention for class definition files or that is our programmers invention? >Posted by Ravi Sankar >you don't have to compile all the referenced classes to compile a .p. Does this not work for your requirement? It works fine, except when programmers change class definition (.cls) and program and only tell me the program to compile :) Since we implemented stratagy "Compile .cls first, .p second" thing become much better. Thanks. >Are you compiling part of your application/project for separate packaging purposes? Yes >Posted bydbeavon >A *single* ABL program should NEVER be a deployment unit. Unfortunately I could not agree for the same reasons that Tim Hutchens wrote above. Every project we deploy go with immediate bug fix and then a couple more fixes that need to be done quickly. We do deploy "a program" all the time. >fix it, and need to deploy it now That is us ! >Posted by dbeavon > IMHO you should always compile with *local* schema/database. Interesting idea. Why I did not think about it before? :) Thanks. >Posted byPeter Judge >Are you thinking of something like a ( completely pseudo-code) >COMPILE foo.p LIST-DEPENDENCIES Yes, I guess that would be nice. If we could not find a class definition ( .cls file) then at least we can get the class name. >Peter, I’d rather have that clearly in the XML-XREF than in yet another output file of the COMPILE statement. I would go with what ever is available. Can I get it (class reference) in XML-XREF now, or that needs an enhancement request?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.