[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: How can I explain for business the difference between the classic AppServer and the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> after all we do pay maintenance on the CAppSrvs I agree. Customers have reason to believe their maintenance is what it takes to ensure that they will continue to have the product in the future. The announcement that classic wasn't going to be in OE 12 was sort of a last-minute shocker. If Progress gave advanced notice that classic was dying, regardless of maintenance payments, then customers would think twice about continuing to pay "maintenance". In all likelihood this is a case of "robbing peter to pay paul". The maintenance payments from the classic customers was probably being used to fund the R&D costs on PASOE (especially considering the lack of new investment in classic)... But the classic customers are not being given the credit for those payments towards PASOE. They have to make the purchase all over again. PASOE is essentially the evolved form of the "classic" appserver that had not changed in many, many years. >> I have a task to explain to the Business why we should spend extra money on new PASOE licenses if we already have classic They probably don't have to spend extra money. At least not right now. If history is a guide, then OE version 11.7.x (and classic within it) will probably be officially supported for another ten years. OE 10.2B didn't retire until OE 12 became available. IMHO OpenEdge customers are happiest when they aren't on the "bleeding edge". And if you are trying to push them to upgrade ten years earlier then is strictly necessary then it might be an uphill battle. Furthermore I suspect that the incentives for switching to PASOE will get better over time. Progress will have their own reasons for wanting customers to upgrade to OE 12. It will become a problem if there are a whole bunch of them that are dragging their feet because they would be forced to throw away their investment in "classic". I always thought it would be fair if Progress would give customers a discount on PASOE that amounts to the past 5 years of maintenance payments on classic (ie. a period of time when classic saw no new investment).

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.