[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: How can I explain for business the difference between the classic AppServer and the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Koufalis

Below are my answers to your questions, though they do not necessarily reflect my personal opinion. For the casual readers, it is important to note up front that Classic AppServer no longer exists in OE 12. Poof - it's gone. 1. They will not be paying extra for updates to PASOE. It is an entirely new product that you must purchase. PSC *may*, for various reasons, provide you with incentives to purchase PASOE (for example, giving you some trade-in credit for your classic Apsv licenses). 2. The message from PSC is better, stronger, faster...From a business perspective, PSC made a decision to drop support of their 20-year old Java code (AdminServer, Universal Brokers, etc.) and piggy-back on Tomcat 3. I believe you are asking how much *more* money...Zero. But their costs will increase over time as they are forced to stay on OE 11 4. Yes there have been MANY messages that Classic is going away in 12. I don't know that PSC went out of their way to tell people that there would be license costs involved. All of that was the responsibility of your sales rep. My opinions below: 1. If you are a small end-user with 25 users and 5 AppServer agents, then it is unlikely that the migration from Classic to PASOE will provide any short term benefits to the business . 2. If you are a large end user or a VAR with many customers, I suspect that the Tomcat-based solution will be a net benefit over the next few years. 3. As I mentioned above, that Java code was very likely a dead end and fixing it would have been more effort and risk than moving to Tomcat-based.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.