[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Generic JMS Adapter - Lifecycle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

One thing that might help matters is if Progress would release the source code to the "generic adapter". (Along with automated test harnesses, if available.). That way customers might at least be able to recompile it and troubleshoot it ourselves. There are a lot of moving parts involved, including the plugin mechanism that allows you to interface with a third-party JMS client library. Even if the Progress adapter software is running perfectly, it would NOT be easy to differentiate a bug in a third-party JMS client library; so customers still might point the finger at the Progress adapter . Open sourcing might be a good option in this case. I can't imagine there is anything all that proprietary in the "generic adapter". A bit of ubroker plumbing? Some TCP/IPC plumbing? Some JMS interfacing? Nothing that exciting or interesting. I doubt any other company is going to create a competing adapter, especially since the Progress one is supposed to be a free part of the adminserver framework (like nameserver). We still get bitten by bugs in the "brokerconnect" version of the adapter running on PASOE/Windows. Basically an ABL session that is interacting with the adapter will hang from time to time waiting on an exchange with the adapter. There is no timeout mechanism and the ABL session will block indefinitely while waiting on the connection to the adapter. Worse yet it will also hold onto any locked records in the database as well, causing massive problems that escalate into other parts of the business application and requires manual intervention in order to recover. I suspect there are some fundamental internal problems with the way that concurrency control is handled in the adapter. It only affects the "brokerconnect" model which presumably shares resources between "servers". This stuff never happened in the past when we had relied on "clientconnect" (totally independent processes without inter-session conflicts). Unfortunately PASOE doesn't support the clientconnect adapter mode at this time.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.