[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Generating service/catalog files with Ant

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hutcj

Peter - thank you for the explanation. This gives me a better understanding of the software architecture. Keerthy - The reason I said I had to specify all the files individually is because we have multiple services that have some resources in common. So, while I am sure using the fileset directive would work for a single service, I don't think it would work here. For example, consider I have 3 resources ClassA.cls, ClassB.cls, and ClassC.cls and 2 services Service1 and Service2. Service1 contains ClassA and ClassB. Service2 contains ClassB and ClassC. How can fileset be used to find the correct class files? If resources were always unique to a service, a folder hierarchy could easily be used, but since the resources are shared, I don't think they can. I understand that .pidl files can be generated with PDSOE, and there are no Ant tasks available to perform such function. Is there no other utility or PRO* tool that accomplishes this? What I'm really getting to is that using Ant as a build/deploy automation tool is only useful if the whole process is automated. "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link" sort of thing. Do you know if Progress plans to create an Ant task in the future for this? So, if there is no other way to generate these files other than PDSOE, I have one last follow-up question. We use git as our version control system, and I had initially listed .pidl files in the .gitignore to be untracked since I found out they were generated files. Should I instead continue to track the .pidl files and put the responsibility on each developer to ensure their .services/ folder content (.pidl, .xml, etc.) is up to date with their source code?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.