[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Evolution (or the lack thereof) and future of the OpenEdge ABL

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Fechner

Very valid points Lieven!!! And a few of those are really missing features that make it hard to "sell" OOABL to young developers and put the future of the community at risk! If I'd still be in charge of running PUG Challenges, I'd invite you to do a birds of a feather session on that subject at the October PUG Challenges. Sent from Nine Von: Lieven De Foor Gesendet: Freitag, 2. August 2019 15:29 An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] Evolution (or the lack thereof) and future of the OpenEdge ABL Update from Progress Community Lieven De Foor With the CVP (Customer Validation Program) OpenEdge developers and users can be more involved in the evolution of the OpenEdge products. We get early access to test new features and are able to give feedback and direction to the items being worked on. Although better tooling, new product features, performance enhancements etc. are all nice, the main missing item being worked on is the ABL language... For years no new major features have been added. The last addition I can recall was enums. I would like to, once more, draw OpenEdge product managements attention to the importance of the language for us developers. Over the past years I've been adding feature requests to the community "Ideas" section, only to see my enthousiasm diminish year after year... My questions to Progress are: - What are the plans, if any, with the language? - What's on the roadmap? - Can we get some feedback, any feedback at all, to the items posted at community.progress.com/.../openedge Let me list just a few existing requests: - Generics community.progress.com/.../complete_oo_functionality_in_abl - Ability to override properties - Indexed properties - Remove the need to use procedures (where methods would be more appropriate) community.progress.com/.../remove_need_to_use_procedures_where_methods_would_be_more_appropriate - Extend reflection support - for annotations community.progress.com/.../reflection_-_support_for_annotations - to get initial value of variable/property community.progress.com/.../enhance_reflection_functionality_to_get_initial_value_of_variableproperty - Operator overloading community.progress.com/.../operator_overloading - Add ++/-- and +=/-= function community.progress.com/.../add_--_and_-_function - LOOKUP method on array (extent) community.progress.com/.../lookup_method_on_array_extent -> Not needed if Generics would be there... - Support for inner/nested classes community.progress.com/.../support_for_innernested_classes - Support for default method implementation in interfaces (controversial, I know...) community.progress.com/.../support_for_default_method_implementation_in_interfaces - INITIAL option supported for CLASS variables community.progress.com/.../initial_option_supported_for_class_variables - Support for named arguments / optional arguments community.progress.com/.../support_for_named_arguments__optional_arguments - Support for delegates + anonymous methods and/or lambda expressions community.progress.com/.../support_for_delegates__anonymous_methods_andor_lambda_expressions - Null conditional (Elvis) operator community.progress.com/.../null_conditional_operator Also, some feature requests were implemented but still not marked as such in the Ideas forum: - Add ability to pass datasets asynchronously community.progress.com/.../add_ability_to_pass_datasets_asynchronously - Allow EMPTY-TEMP-TABLE on temp-table handle (currently only possible on a buffer handle) community.progress.com/.../allow_empty-temp-table_on_temp-table_handle_currently_only_possible_on_a_buffer_handle Please mark these as "Complete" I would suggest to also take a look at languages like Kotlin and the features they have: - Smart casts kotlinlang.org/.../typecasts.html - First-class delegation kotlinlang.org/.../delegation.html View online You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum. To stop receiving updates from only this thread, go here . Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.