[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Client/Server on Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Its not bandwidth that is the problem. It is latency and the number of sequential round-trips that are performed. While saving a business document in our ERP , I've regularly seen *thousands* of client-server round-trips to the OE RDBMS database. This is the nature of the OE database technology. Almost everything happens on a row-by-row basis. As a quick check for latency, I'd suggest "ping"ing the server and reviewing the average round-trip times. In order to get a grip on the number of round-trips that are being made, I typically open task manager in windows and watch the increasing number of packets that are sent/received (image): I think your performance problems will grow proportionally to the (latency*unicasts). One trick that might help in troubleshooting is a trick that Progress tech support told me about. You should *always* start your troubleshooting by running your application code on the same local server as the database - but when you do this, you must make sure to use "-H and -S" parameters for client-server connectivity - instead of using "shared-memory". This trick will take the physical network out of the equation altogether (while leaving the OE client-server technology layer in place). The performance of this configuration must be measured as a "baseline". Then if you end up seeing bad performance over a remote network, then you must compare it to the baseline and that will tell you how much the network itself is slowing things down.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.