[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Centos 7.7, OpenEdge 11.7.2, VMWare 6.5 - slow networking???

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

It sounds like you figured it out. I think the OE software would be agnostic about that. If they cared, then it seems like they could explicitly program for it (similar to introducing TCP_NODELAY as an option whenever opening a TCP connection). You could open a quick support ticket with tech support and they will write a KB article. It would be helpful for other customers who are upgrading their OS'es as well. I think it is surprising that we don't find many google hits about tcp_autocorking in general.... I suspect OE is in an elite class of applications that are so chatty that this parameter would make a substantial impact. Here is another that I found (monkey web server). It disables tcp_autocorking too: sysads.co.uk/.../ github.com/.../175 Ubuntu would probably be affected by this too. Per their docs about TCP_CORK, it can introduce an artificial delay (of up to 200 ms!!! manpages.ubuntu.com/.../tcp.7.html ) " If set, don't send out partial frames. .... As currently implemented, there is a 200 millisecond ceiling on the time for which output is corked by TCP_CORK. If this ceiling is reached, then queued data is automatically transmitted. ... " If several Linux OS'es have started to enable autocorking by default then OE needs to get ahead of that right away ... or the database will appear even more slow than it needs to be. Perhaps it is one of the database improvements they have already made in OE 12. Ie. perhaps cork-management might account for some of the 300% improvement that they have been advertising!

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.