[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Bulk insert into OpenEdge database table

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ske

You seem to run into various problems all the time due to connecting your PASOE servers to the database over the network in stead of through shared memory. I always thought, since I first read documentation for the original Progress Appserver, that the intended/optimal architecture would be to run an Appserver on the same machine as the database with shared memory, as an extension of the capabilities of the database server itself. And then, if you really needed more than one Appserver on different machines, for performance or for load balancing or extra computation power or whatever, for end-user clients to connect to, then it appeared to me that you could have that too, and let those Appservers talk to the main Appserver over the network for the more database-heavy operations that really need the performance of basically running kind-of on the database server itself through shared memory. For instance to do such things as bulk inserts, that you mention now. At least while the database server does not have that operation natively. And maybe for some other things you have asked about previously too. (Other operations can still connect directly to the database alone over the network, when the services of the main Appserver is not needed.) Even though that main Appserver may be viewed as a possible single point of failure, I don't see how that is any worse than the database itself already being a possible single point of failure. It's just a way of being able to extend the functionality of the database server without having to wait for Progress to do it for you. Just don't put all processing of your application on the main Appserver, only the operations that really need to be there. I haven't tried this architecture myself though, and I haven't seen it being discussed since then, and I have no idea if it fits PASOE too, so I don't know if it works for real. It is just an idea I always thought sounded interesting, and seemed to be implied by the documentation. It would be interesting to know if it works.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.