[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Any tools for cross-platform backup-restore (off of HP-UX Itanium)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Given the lack of a shrink-wrapped software solution, we may have to hire a consultant. IMHO, a cross-platform backup/restore should not be so challenging as this. I disagree that this is an "occasion-specific" requirement. For development purposes I would have *frequently* used a backup-restore feature that would copy a database from HP-UX to my PDSOE machine (on Windows). That would have been used dozens of times over the years, had it been easy, fast, and not so very error-prone. My Windows workstation has a large SSD and a 4.2 GHz processor. On the other hand, our HP-UX/Itanium hardware that we use for development is pretty outdated, with NAS for disk, and machinfo says the cpu is an Itanium Processor 9350 (1.73 GHz, 24 MB). The database is probably 10-20% slower than it would be on Windows, even for average CRUD operations. There is already an idea in the "product enhancements" forum that has quite a lot of votes, relatively speaking. It is about two years old. I suspect those are votes from people who would also do backup/restore on a regular basis. It sounds like there is an opportunity for someone to create a tool to facilitate the migration of a database away from HP-UX. I think a lot of Progress customers will be ready to make the switch once they learn that OE 12 won't be certified to run on HP-UX. (But most of them may wait until after 2025, if I had to guess). I would bet that even the consultants would rather buy a software tool for doing these migrations - rather than wrestle with the current dump/reload procedures. A software tool might decrease their billable hours, but it would otherwise be a much better option. It would avoid a ton of manual efforts, and home-grown scripts. As intimidating as it is to contemplate the dump/reload, there was even a suggestion from a team member to abandon the whole idea. Instead, we could force our clients just start over with empty databases on a new platform! I wish that Progress would announce a plan for HP-UX customers who need to move their databases. The HP-UX platform has reached the end of the road, but I'm guessing that Progress wants to keep those customers just the same (albeit on a different platform). It would be unfortunate to lose some of the customers altogether (possibly to another database vendor). Doesn't it make sense to give us a well-defined strategy for moving our OE databases? Must we really fend for ourselves?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.