[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Adding a field to a Unique primary index

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

It sounds like you are storing explicit recids in your database? Yes, that is a problem. The recid's shouldn't ever be stored in a custom/persistent way. Many people just use a surrogate SEQUENCE value instead of the recid, and they add an index on that value. Of course things are a bit slower when you go thru another index to get to the underlying record ... but that's how Progress works. (In SQL Server you can create a "clustered" index on your own custom IDENTITY column, and that behaves as fast as if you were tying all your tables together by their RECID's). Maybe your developer was mishandling the recid in Progress because of some prior experiences they've had with surrogate identifiers in another DBMS. Just a guess. PS. I believe I've heard that the Pro2SQL product also uses the RECID or ROWID in a persistent way . I guess if they are doing it for Pro2SQL, then it becomes that much harder to scold a developer when they are doing a similar thing in their custom programs... Everyone has a reason to excuse themselves from following the normal patterns and practices... The main problem with persistent RECID/ROWID is that if you ever desire to dump and reload your data, you are going to be in a lot of pain.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.