[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: In PASOE the lock wait timeout is 10 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I was surprised tonight to see that somewhere along the way Progress changed the default lock wait timeout (lkwtmo) to 10 seconds in PASOE. It is something that developers will need to know if they are migrating from "classic" appserver. The difference between the old (30 minute) default timeout and the new 10 second default is substantial. The docs don't mention the change in the PASOE default timeout: OpenEdge 11.7 Documentation However I did find a reference to the change in an inconspicuous place. It is at the bottom of this KB: Progress KB - PASOE application cannot submit request for 30 minutes. "Note: Starting with OE 11.6.4 and 11.7.1, PASOE's default value for Lock Timeout (-lkwtmo) is 10 seconds." Personally, I am happy with a relatively short timeout for waiting on a record lock. The problem is what happens when the timeout expires. Unlike most types of error conditions, this one raises a STOP condition. That makes it very troublesome to deal with. It doesn't respect a regular S.E.H. CATCH block like an ERROR condition would. Instead there are a set of very obscure rules related to the default handling of STOPs (see OpenEdge 11.7 Documentation ) Ideally with such a short timeout, there would also be a way to have Progress raise a regular error condition that could be caught using structured error handling. I suspect there is a reason they didn't implement it this way, but it isn't obvious to me at the moment.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.