Question Progress Application Server

bigwill

Hi all

So I have been reading this "Progress - keys to success pasoe.pdf" which says that progress application server is the way to go. We currently use both odbc and classic appserver in our .NET solution.

I would like to explore the new progress application server, but I can't find out what I need to install, and how to configure it, and how to use this in a .net (c#) application. Does anybody have any ideas and tips to get me started ?

Does anybody have a c# snipplet I can se to how to connect and run abl p-files ?

Lars

Attachments

• progress---keys-to-success-pasoe.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

peteri883

There are a couple of DLL s in the windows progress install that I have used in the past ( I don't have the details to hand) you can call apserver directly from c# , no need to change anything server side, we were calling apserver on our Unix box , there is documents on the web that detail what is required, pretty simple really

bigwill

There are a couple of DLL s in the windows progress install that I have used in the past ( I don't have the details to hand) you can call apserver directly from c# , no need to change anything server side, we were calling apserver on our Unix box , there is documents on the web that detail what is required, pretty simple really

Yea, we use these dll's today and call appserver directly with "AppServerDC://xx.xx.xx.xx:yyyy/name etc etc but this is not what I am after. If you look at the attachment in my first post I want to test/learn about the new Progress Application Server. I am getting confused here. Is Appserver and "Progress Application server" the same thing ?

Last edited:

bigwill

No.

Progress Application Server(PASOE) and "Appserver" (Classic Appserver from now on) are entirely separate.

Classic Appserver is going to be retired at some point and everyone should be moving over to PASOE.

PASOE should work in a very similar way, as its basically the original appserver smashed together with the webspeed brokers.

see this.

Progress KB - Sample calling PASOE AppServer from a .Net OpenClient
Thank you. I am beginning to understand this. So basically all I have to change is my current connection that uses classic appserver to a new connection that uses the new application server. We dont't use proxy in our solution, we just connect direct to appserv and run the procedure directly.
Should still work with this new application server ??

c# code we use
Code:
public DataTable GetPersonalActivityCostOverview(string userId, DateTime fromDate, DatabaseConnection databaseConnection)
        {
            string result = "";

//Parameters
            ParamArray parms = new ParamArray(3);
            parms.AddCharacter(0, userId, ParamArrayMode.INPUT);
            parms.AddDatetime(1, fromDate, ParamArrayMode.INPUT);
            parms.AddLongChar(2, result, ParamArrayMode.OUTPUT);
            DataTable tbl = null;

using (new PerformanceMonitor("GetPersonalActivityCostOverview.p", parms, databaseConnection))
            {
                ApplicationServerManager.RunProc("GetPersonalActivityCostOverview.p", parms, databaseConnection);
                result = (string)parms.GetOutputParameter(2);
                tbl = GetDataTableFromXml(result);
            }
            return tbl;
        }

Tnx.

Lars E.