Progress Application Development Standards

gcampbell

Things are a lot more expensive in the UK ... and higher taxes. But then again, pints are typically cheaper.

:drink:

Dlc2?????

Backwards compatability!!!
Progress OpenEdge Software (before V10 just Progress Software) is amazing for it. Any other industry would forget about previous versions, though Progress allways thinks - wot about V6 (for example). This is why I am a BIG Progress PSC fan (PRGS). Lets not forget about the guys over here who may be running this, before we upgrade the system, EXCELLENT!!!
DLC2 Wot R U reffering 2??? I am aware of ADM2, though DLC2??? (head scratcher).
Regards,
M Powell Esq

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
data language corporation ( dlc )
the progress company before they were named progress

i think, version 5 was still dlc, then progress, now openedge

maybe 10 years from now you'll get the same question
with progress and openedge instead of dlc and progress

that's where the dlc ( install dir ) environment variable name came from

afaik, there was no version 1, atleast not a commercial release
there's this joke where they ask in conventions "who's been with us since version 1"

joey.jeremiah said:
schappie,

most of time i'd prefer reading an organized, modular, well desgined program
instead of spaghetti code packed with comments

but i'm not trying to convert anyone, if you're anal about comments enjoy

In my experience it's the modular, well-designed code that tends to be well-commented.

Spaghetti code is written by bad programmers with no thought for others coming in afterwards. This philosophy extends to their neglect of commenting.

Relevant commenting is an important part of a well-written program.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
schaapie,

don't you think you're making an arse out of yourself ?
i mean, i used to do the same thing, but it was back when i was in 6th grade

we started this discussion but i gathered you had nothing to say

coming back to the topic

we're or atleast i am talking about documentations not just remarks / side notes
every product should have documentations and help

but it's as much work and a diff specialization then writing the app
not every programmer is usually an author

it'd be great if you had unlimited time and budget
but that's not always the case

we're a new asp ( service provider )
sort of a startup but not really ( long story ), in the legal field

our product has only documentation on the overview of the processes etc.
for internal use within the company

and video/audio presentation similar to webevents as help files
practical to make and also we thought would be more accessible
i mean who's ever read the vcr's manual

in time, in future releases we intend to write
a more thorough comprehensive "real" documentations

but your all-or-nothing approach might not be always practical

if i was doing a consulting job, documentations would be the last thing on my list
i also doubt a customer will pay for it

most of the time ( not just in progress ) software projects
don't meet their deadlines and budgets as it is

proper management is sometimes as important as brilliant coding
sometimes all you can do is just write "good" code

but your all-or-nothing approach might not be always practical

if i was doing a consulting job, documentations would be the last thing on my list
i also doubt a customer will pay for it

Who's all-or-nothing approach? I was responding to the observation about comments in programs, not about general documentation.

I realise that technical/user documentation is usually the last thing to get done (not that this is desirable, but normally the emphasis is on the program working correctly).

However, commenting shouldn't be an afterthought. Although it can be considered part of the documentation, it is also an essential part of the code, and any program without proper commenting is incomplete and arguably badly written.

schaapie

Joey, as Lee has stated "Who's all-or-nothing approach?"
My only comment was about comments.
Again as Lee stated (boy are we in agreement) "...any program without proper commenting is incomplete and arguably badly written."
Anyone taking over someone elses project won't always go read every piece of documentation about the code. But when modifying the code he has to read it and in doing so will come across the comments clarifying well thought through desisions in less obvious code.

But I'll quit this thread, so it won't turn into a hate-mail-thing.

Do what you want and most importantly, keep smiling.

lord_icon

Specelation

Guidelines to Progress programming is specelative. There are different styles that all analysts have, anyway.
Programming is not binary(yes/no) . Different people (analysts) have different interpretations.
You need to define EXACTLY what you require in this guideline / handbook. The guideline should include the basics regarding using the ADE, using the vars analagy - different houses CAN NOT use underscores/dashes because the compiler reads them as mathamatical symbols.
Then there is the use of remarks, how where should be remarks be used?
Documentation for each program / procedure / function, needs to be addressed. How much is required, content of the documentation. How the documentation is made up?

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
i agree with lord

some things make sense, but there's no need to be a code nazi

i would also add that if you keep learning you'll keep up with the "standards"

Greetings,
I am in the UK, when I were 19years old I were commanding (and earning) a salary of £22k (£22,000 per year), that is the UK with our taxes, price of living.... I am now 25, I will leave it your imagination on the salary I now command!! (6 years on - do the math!!)

mpowell_esq said:
Greetings,
I am in the UK, when I were 19years old I were commanding (and earning) a salary of £22k (£22,000 per year), that is the UK with our taxes, price of living.... I am now 25, I will leave it your imagination on the salary I now command!! (6 years on - do the math!!)

50p a day and a carrot?

dstrasin

mkontou said:
I am trying to create some kind of standards for our companies software developers to follow when creating Gui and Web speed applications. So far, everybody is writting in any way each individual prefears and as a result we find it very difficult to take over some one elses project. Does anyone have any guidlines on how you define standards or a sample document of such BUT for Progress developers use not Oracle or C or .NET?
I thing it is a very interesting issue all of us should get involved with.
I have to agree that this standards document is nice reading:

http://resources.progresstalk.com/Documentation/Document%20Library/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=567&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fresources%2Eprogresstalk%2Ecom%2FDocumentation%2FDocument%2520Library%2FForms%2FAllItems%2Easpx%3FRootFolder%3D%252fDocumentation%252fDocument%2520Library%252fUser%2520Documentation%26View%3D%257b5A454457%252d1EC2%252d4227%252d8996%252d031ED3518E68%257d&RootFolder=%2fDocumentation%2fDocument%20Library%2fUser%20Documentation,

and in the interest of 'compliance' with a given 'standard,' this might be as close to a pole as we can get, however; I would agree with one other person's thread that you should involve all of the members of your staff to come up with a set of standards that works for everyone, whether it be aesthetic in nature or a matter of utilization of handles, widgets, logic. At my Company, we celebrate individual style, but we have adapted a minimum set of standards to which all programmers must adhere, relative to layout, form, and function. We have one guy who loves to experiment and occasionally goes off on an event-driven tangent, where some of the inexperienced programmers barely have a grip on top-down theology. Again, it comes back to internal control--YOU guys/girls set the standard that YOU want to follow and stick to it, but allow some room for individual creativity.

Good luck!

dstrasin

standards can be up to your team

I have to agree that this standards document is nice reading:

http://resources.progresstalk.com/Documentation/Document%20Library/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=567&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fresources%2Eprogresstalk%2Ecom%2FDocumentation%2FDocument%2 520Library%2FForms%2FAllItems%2Easpx%3FRootFolder%3D%252fDocumentation%252fDocument%2520Library%252f User%2520Documentation%26View%3D%257b5A454457%252d1EC2%252d4227%252d8996%252d031ED3518E68%257d&RootF older=%2fDocumentation%2fDocument%20Library%2fUser%20Documentation,

and in the interest of 'compliance' with a given 'standard,' this might be as close to a pole as we can get, however; I would agree with one other person's thread that you should involve all of the members of your staff to come up with a set of standards that works for everyone, whether it be aesthetic in nature or a matter of utilization of handles, widgets, logic. At my Company, we celebrate individual style, but we have adapted a minimum set of standards to which all programmers must adhere, relative to layout, form, and function. We have one guy who loves to experiment and occasionally goes off on an event-driven tangent, where some of the inexperienced programmers barely have a grip on top-down theology. Again, it comes back to internal control--YOU guys/girls set the standard that YOU want to follow and stick to it, but allow some room for individual creativity.

Good luck!