Progress 9.1E : How to fix errn0=22.(781)

phillip2110

Hello,
Please help me to solved the problem to connect from client computer to server. The problem start when windows 10 update and after reboot, Progress no longer to connect with server it give a error " Unable to create socket, errno=22.(781). I try to uninstall update still problem, run restore last save, not success, Please help.

Server MS 2003 R2
3 Client computer : windows Pro 10, X64, Build 1801 ( new update 5-20-2018 )
Progress 9.1E,
Thank you very much.
Phillip

RealHeavyDude

There was a similar issue with OE10.2B and Windows 7. Maybe this is relevant for your
socket errno=22.(781)

Nevertheless, Progress 9.1E is more than 20 years old software which isn't supported on Windows 10. I doubt that it even was supported on Windows 7. I guess there is something in the Windows update that blocks Progress from spawning a server socket.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Running version 9.1E on anything is a recipe for disaster as it's ancient, obsolete, and unsupported, but running it on a modern OS is really asking for trouble.
How are you connecting your client to the server? I presume there must be some sort of command line. I presume it's the database connection that's failing? Can you connect to the database through the procedure editor? Have you got a machine that hasn't been updated that you can test to see if it really is the Win10 update causing it?

andre42

There was a similar issue with OE10.2B and Windows 7. Maybe this is relevant for your
socket errno=22.(781).
https://www.progresstalk.com/threads/socket-errno-22-781.179915/
I think your link is broken, but this sounds relevant since it is related to a recent Windows 10 update: Progress KB - Windows 10 shared drive and executables error 781
Nevertheless, Progress 9.1E is more than 20 years old software which isn't supported on Windows 10. I doubt that it even was supported on Windows 7. I guess there is something in the Windows update that blocks Progress from spawning a server socket.
I agree with you, but please don't exaggerate - Progress 9.1E is from 2004, SP4 is from 2006. 20 years ago 9.0A was released.
Still I wouldn't normaly use 9.1E on anything newer than XP/Server 2003 for production purposes. I did use it on Windows 7 to do development for our legacy clients, but starting from SP1 I couldn't install it anymore.