Progress 9.1b - TakeStock Client Slow to Start

fatech

Using Software Solutions TakeStock and Progress 9.1b on Windows 2000 Professional computers that are connecting to a Windows 2000 Server. We are having a problem with client connection times and think that it is something related to Norton AntiVirus 7.5 Corporate Edition.

Have excluded the .pl files from the Norton AntiVirus files to be scanned and this usually works for Windows 98 or Windows 2000 Professional computers that are using a Windows NT Server, but is not making any difference with this configuration. The login waits for 2 to 5 minutes and then works properly. These are the same symptoms as when the .pl files are not excluded from Norton AntiVirus.

The Progress 9.1b is using a Shared Network Install from a Windows 2000 member server that is running on a non-Active Directory network. The PDC and BDC on this network are still Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

melgie@forsytheassoc.com

tsspdx

I'm not familiar with the TakeStock product. However, we use Progress on W2K clients with NT SP6a PDC and BDC servers and Norton 7.5 without any problem. Our Progress server, though, is Unix based. The PDC is our Norton server.

I haven't rolled our applications up into .pl's yet; we've running from .r's. We did find it loaded very slowly that way over our 10G Ethernet network, even with Progress loaded on each PC. So I wrote a little script to have the servers push the latest .r's onto the clients. I never tried Shared Network Install since it seemed to me network bandwidth was a constraining factor.

I would switch to 9.1C ASAP; 9.1B is buggy, and I think 9.1C performs better.

Make sure there aren't DNS or Windows problems; is the W2K server defined in your LMHOSTS files? It seems unlikely that Norton is the problem, unless it's really taking that long for it to rescan all the Progress .EXE's every time they're accessed.

Good luck!

fatech

Thanks for the Help!

Thanks for the response!

After working on it for a day have discovered that the 5 different servers were all trying to provide AntiVirus protection for each others shared drives. The Login.bat file that creates the mapped drives is being used by the Administrator account also during the client installation process. These mapped drives were being protected by all of the different servers resulting in 5 different Norton AntiVirus servers trying to protect the shared drives.

Solution:
Excluded the mapped drives from the Norton AntiVirus on each server so that each server would only protect the local drives.

On the Client PCs had to uncheck the Drive Types: Network
on the "File System Realtime Protection" settings.

Clients working properly now.