Progress 9.1b performance & speed up

egiblock

is the only way to increase the speed, performance and decrease the size of the database we use for syteline, to do a dump and reload of the database ?

are there any utilities or command lines to run against the database to help it out ? ie: re-indexing or anything like that ?

thanks

vinod_home

There are a lot of ways to increase performance, but you cannot expect the performance to change if you dont know whats causing the issue.

You can do all the index rebuild, all the dump/load and all the program changes you want, if you hardware is at its peak level thats all you can get out of it. So my point is go ahead and explain what issues your facing and a lot of people will make suggestions that you can do online/offline.

egiblock

it's more of a general maintenance question if anything. the hardware in the server is fine, and the o/s is running without any problems. just wasn't sure if doing anything like a re-index would help processing times of some of the larger reports that get run against the db.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
9.1B is, of course, ancient, obsolete and unsupported. You really ought to upgrade. There is no technical reason that you cannot get to 9.1E04. If you can compile code there is nothing stopping you from upgrading all the way to 10.2B.

There are almost always ways to make things better. Even with 9.1B.

From a performance perspective Syteline is a "target rich" environment.

Re-indexing rarely helps.

Dumping and loading may help but to really get bang for your buck on that front you need to implement properly designed storage areas. Doing that properly can have an enormous impact.

There are also, of course, some things you might be able to do with startup parameters. In particular those related to caching either at the db or the session level such as -B & -mmax.

If you have an enterprise license you should be using -spin.

You might also want to consider bringing in a consultant.

egiblock

we have a consultant team that we work with for some programming help when needed. we also are currently planning an upgrade of syteline to 8 along with obviously upgrading the database at that time.

in the meantime, I am just seeing if there is anything that can be done. but this also might fall under "if it isn't broke, then don't fix it"

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
There is a huge difference between programming consulting and db tuning consulting. You really don't want programmers tuning your db :( And I'm sure the programmers would take a dim view of DBAs coding ;)

RealHeavyDude

You really don't want programmers tuning your db :( And I'm sure the programmers would take a dim view of DBAs coding ;)

I am doomed :blush1::mad::blush::confused:

As I have to wear both hats - and I guess people wearing such hats are considered to be experts for whatever their hat stands for - I suspect I have to fight with myself ...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: RealHeavyDude.

egiblock

I am doomed :blush1::mad::blush::confused:

As I have to wear both hats - and I guess people wearing such hats are considered to be experts for whatever their hat stands for - I suspect I have to fight with myself ...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: RealHeavyDude.

at least i got a laugh out of it.

philipped

Just to add my two cents regarding this, when it comes to cut the time needed to process reporting or rebalance utilities in SyteLine I would advice to thnk about moving old record such as co, po and jobs to the history files.

There is also many utilities used to purge transaction like job material transaction, job transaction or Journal transaction that can be used to.