Progress 8 files in progress 9 editor.

Hello everyone.

I have been working with progress for a little more then 2 weeks now. My task is to upgrade our older ERP software written in progress 8 to a new ERP software written in progress 9.

Every time I try to compile progress 8 files in the new procedure editor, it will compile fine and then, after I make some changes to the file it will give me error:
-4083, "Unable to assign UNKNOWN value to attribute PARENT on window widget" and sometimes errors :
-3135 "Invalid widget-handle. Not initialized or points to a deleted widget" and
-3140 "Cannot access the Y attribute because the widget does not exist".

after I save changes and exit the editor, everything works fine when I open a new session, with changes applied, until I make more changes. That means every time I change something I have to go back and forth opening and closing.

another bug is when I try to open a .p file, that does not exist from iside of the running program, it crashes, going back to the editor. If I try to compile it again, editor crashes along with the main program, from which I evoked the editor.

I have tried lots of things already, and am very annoyed by this situation.
If somebody could point me in the right direction as to how to troubleshoot this animal I would be grateful.

jp-uk

error 4083 states that the smart browser object is being ran from the appbuilder itself - this needs to run with a link to the sdo

a .p should not cause the whole thing to crash, its just lines of code... i've not heard of this before, can it be viewed properly in an editor? can you open it in notepad? how realiable is the appbuilder you are running?

Hi jp-uk

Thanks for the reply.

What exactly is smart browser object and how do I link it to SDO (i don't really know what this stands fro as well). Yes I can open it with editor/notepad... App builder I am running is very unreliable. It changes code in my files all the time and gives me that 4083 error, although editor gives it to me as well.

Thanks for you help :D.

jdgibson

Although I have hardly used smart objects I seem to recall that version 8 smart objects are significanlty different from version 9 and a conversion utility is provided in version 9 on the pro tools menu to convert v8 smart objects to v9 smart objects.

If you have not done this it may explain the problems you are getting.

Although I have hardly used smart objects I seem to recall that version 8 smart objects are significanlty different from version 9 and a conversion utility is provided in version 9 on the pro tools menu to convert v8 smart objects to v9 smart objects.

If you have not done this it may explain the problems you are getting.
do u by any chance know if I need to be connected to v8 database or converted v9 database....
Thanks.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You can run compiled smart code against new releases but the code generated by the v8 "smart" tools cannot be used by the v9 "smart" tools without conversions being applied. Actually, as I understand it, you cannot even do minor point release upgrades without having to convert your "smart" code base.

You can continue to use the old tools by copying them from the old release.

It is one of the major flaws of that tool set.

Thanks for your help Tom and everybody...

How do I determine which code was generated by smart tools in v8? And also I do get that error message even with v9 code, when I make some kind of changes to it and try to compile, it might have to do something with this ERP program, which is already precompiled, and allows me to invoke the editor from inside it...