Programming question

markc

With limited programming experience I am trying to create a report in Progress. The purpose of the report is to gather RMA data with some optional filtering such as entering a date range and/or item number.
I am not sure how to proceed with the following code if the date range and/or item number fields are left blank. If the variables are blank how is the variable overlooked in gathering the data? I am sure this is an easy task for you more experienced programmers.
Here is what I have so far without adding the date range and item variables in the procedure:

def var whs as char format "x(5)".
def var sdate as date.
def var edate as date.
def var s-item as char format "x(10)".

{lib/rpt-def.i &name=RMAOPENRPT}
assign
menu-id = "STD-RPT".
ifappend = true.

{lib/rpt-opt.i
&named-const1="symtext.sys-text.txt[1 for 3] format 'x(78)' no-label view-as text"
&opt2=whs &type2=ch &at2="colon 30 label 'Enter Warehouse'"
&opt4=sdate &type4=ch &at4="colon 30 label 'Enter Start Date'"
&opt6=edate &type6=ch &at6="colon 30 label 'Enter End Date'"
&opt8=s-item &type8=ch &at8="colon 30 label 'Enter Item #'"
&dest10="colon 30"
}

PROCEDURE do-PROCESS:

def input parameter p-text as character no-undo.

DO ON ERROR UNDO, RETURN:
RUN validate-destination.
END.
{lib/rpt-open.i}

DISPLAY
symtext.sys-text.txt[4]
symtext.sys-text.txt[5]
WITH WIDTH-CHARS 132 PAGE-TOP NO-LABELS NO-BOX FRAME f-label132
STREAM-IO.

For each rmaitem where rmaitem.datefld = ?, each rma where rma.whse = input frame f-in whs and rma.rma-num = rmaitem.rma-num,
each custaddr where custaddr.cust-num = rma.cust-num and custaddr.cust-seq =
rma.cust-seq:

Thanks for any and all help!

lord_icon

What is the question? You have not stated your objective, just supplied a LOT of code which makes helping more difficult. Is your problem still current and would like further help? If so you have supplied enough data I just require your objective to help guide you.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You don't mention your version of Progress, but you might want to do some reading on dynamic queries. That is certainly the easy way to handle a highly flexible set of criteria which may or may not apply in a given instance.