Procedure

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Persistent procedures keep trying no matter the circumstances.

Super procedures have special powers like x-ray vision or the ability to leap tall buildings.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Now that I've got that off my chest :)

When you run a procedure with the PERSISTENT keyword it stays in memory after it returns. If you know its handle you can then RUN internal procedures of that persistent procedure. Which, in some ways, is sort of like running methods in an object. Before the 4GL had real classes this was a way of faking OO capabilities.

SUPER is an attribute of a procedure which allows its contents (internal procedures and user defined functions) to be found without the need for a specific handle. SUPER procedures are usually (but not necessarily) PERSISTENT and there may be a stack of them. Among other things this is very handy when you want to provide a library of common functions.

Basically,
A low level definition is that,
super procedures ARE persistent procedures in that they are always in memory and as such you don`t need a specific handle to access the methods of the procedure,
they are LOCAL (get the adm(1) pun there!!!).
Big up

LarryD

Persistent procedures keep trying no matter the circumstances.

Super procedures have special powers like x-ray vision or the ability to leap tall buildings.

So Tom if I have this right:

Persistent procedures are like when your kids ask for something ... "buy me that toy? please? Daddy, will you buy me that toy? please please please?"

and

Super procedures are like when your wife asks you for something... usually with a specific tone of voice?

The cold up north is getting to you!