problems and Solutions w/ Merant 3.6

Douglas Welty

Hello:

I am a manufacturing Production Supervisor using SyteLine 3.5b02 / Progress 8.? / Merant 3.6- 32 bit ODBC. We recently got our SQL server up and running and I am one of the first individuals attempting to develop VB apps using ODBC.

Owing to a few poorly written queries crashing the mainframe numerous times (oops) our overworked Administrator disconnected the SQL server and only recently reconnected it after modifying the conection to run as a low level client as suggested in a SyteLine white paper.

I have not managed to crash the system after the reinstallation, but SIMPLE one field, no join, one criteria queries still (seemingly at random) will not return and are still running around 8 hours later. The DBA is concerned, but since normal transaction level requests are bumping my queries and noone has been affected, I am still live.

Could someone please help? Idealy the DBA would like to discover and correct the problem, but if we could at least kick the query off (after a fixed time?) I think he might be content. We will be upgrading shortly to V9 and I understand from reading numerous postings that our problems will vanish, but in the 3-6 month gap I would really like to continue app development. Thanks, and please forgive my relative ignorance with Progress.

:Douglas