printer

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Usually you would do this by sending large enough jobs that the first ones are still printing while you start the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc...

borhane

You're going to need to give a lot more context to this request before anyone has a hope of helping. :)
I print a receipt which is linked by a USB cable the other linked by a network cable which is in another location example kitchen

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I print a receipt which is linked by a USB cable the other linked by a network cable which is in another location example kitchen
This doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand how you can have a receipt "linked by a USB cable". Maybe use more than one sentence.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
There is nothing built-in to the language that will simultaneously send the same output to two destinations. Frankly I would be surprised if any language has such a feature built in. The closest thing that springs to mind is the UNIX "tee" command.

Working within the 4gl I would simply encapsulate the functionality and then call it twice. Once for each printer.

Something like:
Code:
procedure printReceipt:

define input parameter printerName as character no-undo.
  define input parameter receiptBody as character no-undo.

output through value(  "lp -d" + printerName ).  /* yes, I have used UNIX style syntax here. replace it with something more windows like */
  put unformatted receiptBody skip.
  output close.

end.

define variable rcpt as character no-undo.

rcpt = "my reciept".

run printReceipt( "printer1", rcpt ).
run printReceipt( "printer2", rcpt ).

borhane

There is nothing built-in to the language that will simultaneously send the same output to two destinations. Frankly I would be surprised if any language has such a feature built in. The closest thing that springs to mind is the UNIX "tee" command.

Working within the 4gl I would simply encapsulate the functionality and then call it twice. Once for each printer.

Something like:
Code:
procedure printReceipt:

define input parameter printerName as character no-undo.
  define input parameter receiptBody as character no-undo.

output through value(  "lp -d" + printerName ).  /* yes, I have used UNIX style syntax here. replace it with something more windows like */
  put unformatted receiptBody skip.
  output close.

end.

define variable rcpt as character no-undo.

rcpt = "my reciept".

run printReceipt( "printer1", rcpt ).
run printReceipt( "printer2", rcpt ).
I couldn't find the command under Windows

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Of course not. That is just how one would print on Linux. Replace “output through…” with whatever it is that you are already doing to print on windows.

Make sure to parameterize it so that you can easily support multiple destinations.