Prg DB Viewer & Data Digger

HT3

Hi All,

Just need some guidance.

Where I currently work, to view the records in the database we currently use an ODBC connection and use Excel as the front end interface. However it's very very slow and full off issues that I'd rather not go into.

When I first started working at my current place I asked why we didn't have the 'Progress Database Viewer' application. I got told by the software house who provide us with our system that no such thing exists... However I remember using it where I previously worked but again got told I couldn't have and it must have been a third party tool.

Can someone please confirm that I'm not going crazy and a Progress DATABASE VEIWER application does exist?........

Also I've found a third party alternative 'Data Digger'....

Are there any others?

I've ran into issues setting up Data Digger, are there any instructions\steps that can assist with the setup of Data Digger?

Thanks,
Hassam

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Where I currently work, to view the records in the database we currently use an ODBC connection and use Excel as the front end interface.
Yikes. There might be worse ways to view data in an OpenEdge database. But I can't think of one offhand. And I love Excel.

If you want to use SQL, there are lots of clients you can use. For example Squirrel, which uses JDBC: SQuirreL SQL Client Home Page
[Note to Squirrel maintainers: look into https!]

Alternatively, if you have a compiler license, you could write ABL code to view your data and schema. Or just use DataDigger, where that heavy lifting has been done for you.

DataDigger is made by Patrick Tingen. The github repo is here: GitHub - patrickTingen/DataDigger: A dynamic dataviewer for your Progress / OpenEdge databases.

HT3

Hi,

Thanks @Rob Fitzpatrick , I've gone down the path of DataDigger and have set it up successfully but ran into an issue with security.

The database doesn't allow you to login with a blank userid, so when I launch DataDigger using my -pf file I get the following error.

(See attached error).

Where do I enter my login details?

Shortcut Target

E:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin.exe -p C:\Users\HassamT\Desktop\DataDigger\DataDigger.p -basekey "INI" C:\Users\HassamT\Desktop\DataDigger\DataDigger.ini -pf C:\Users\HassamT\Desktop\DataDigger\DataDigger.pf

Shortcut Start In
C:\Users\HT\Desktop\DataDigger

Progress Version 11.7.12.
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.

Thanks,
Hassam

Attachments

• 1673617070080.png
    1673617070080.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 11

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The database doesn't allow you to login with a blank userid, so when I launch DataDigger using my -pf file I get the following error.
It's been a while since I've used DataDigger but I believe you can have separate configurations for each database. So you would want to add -U <username> -P <password> to the .pf for the database in question.

arpo

Hi Hassam,

as an another Progress DATABASE VIEWER application option can present a ProDiscoverer Lab Tools, more details in prodiscoverer.com, where you can not only view your db data, but also investigate & tune database queries and their performance, and more..

Tools are currently in development mode, so would appreciate any comments on them.

Thank you,
Artūras Pocius
Progress OpenEdge & DevOps Engineer

Stefan

Hi Hassam,

as an another Progress DATABASE VIEWER application option can present a ProDiscoverer Lab Tools, more details in prodiscoverer.com, where you can not only view your db data, but also investigate & tune database queries and their performance, and more..

Tools are currently in development mode, so would appreciate any comments on them.

Thank you,
Artūras Pocius
The PoC looks very nice!

A small UI issue with the 'Lab' tab when using Firefox (not a problem with Chrome), the record lock field overlaps the caption of the where expression.:

prodiscoverer - firefox.PNG

arpo

The PoC looks very nice!

A small UI issue with the 'Lab' tab when using Firefox (not a problem with Chrome), the record lock field overlaps the caption of the where expression.:

View attachment 2731
Thanks, Stefan, for your keen eye!

current tests on PoC are limited to Chrome browser, so it's good point on potential compatibility issues.

Regards,
Artūras Pocius