Port number.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
If you go to $DLC\properties on the machine the database is served on, there is a conmgr.properties file. Find the db name in there and one of the entries for the dbname is the port. If the port is a named service, you'll then need to cross-reference with the services file to see what port that equates to.

Arunselvan

I just explored conmgr.properties file. It Doesn't show Configuration for particular DB. It contains one demo configuration. In that also PORT option equals to ZERO.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Then you're looking at the wrong location. Are you looking on the machine the database is served on? Alternatively (if you can run it) you can look at Progress Explorer and fin the database in question, and open up all the options until you find the Server Group. The port is specified there.

Arunselvan

I got it now. The Databases start using SERVICES here. As you said, I just explored services file. In that all port number are clearly mentioned. It really helped me. Thank you Cringer.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Not everyone uses Exploder to manage their databases.

If the db is a "scripted" db the service name (or port#) will be in the script. Or perhaps in a .pf file.

Regardless - you can find the port actually being used by looking in the log file -- dbname.lg. Search for "-S"

RealHeavyDude

That would be true for most consultants dispatched by Progress too so don't be to hard on yourself ...

In fact, there is even rumor, that there might exist people out there that don't like them managed databases and the Progress Exploder too much. Especially when there is no such thing as OE Management or an AppServer in sight ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I've never *willingly* subjected a database to exploder.

Whenever possible I liberate database servers from conmgr.properties :)

I also only ever use wordpad and the ilk to update properties files ;)

JustMe

You didn't say if the DB service was on UNIX/Linux or windows.
If it is on U/L you may run:
ps ax | grep -e '\-S '

if you are not logged in as the same user as the database add the -u XXXXX to the ps ax (ps ax -u XXXXX )
where XXXXX is the database user ID, in many cases this is root.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You didn't say if the DB service was on UNIX/Linux or windows.
If it is on U/L you may run:
ps ax | grep -e '\-S '

if you are not logged in as the same user as the database add the -u XXXXX to the ps ax (ps ax -u XXXXX )
where XXXXX is the database user ID, in many cases this is root.

The "-S <port>" parameter isn't necessarily in the broker process command line. It could be hidden in a .pf.

An alternative approach for a running broker is to filter netstat output for the broker's PID, and get the port number of the local socket.