pivot table??

rumi

Hi guys,
is possible to make in Progress something like a pivot table?? for exaple over temp-table - and thru parametrs i can say what qroup together, what i want to display ... is it possible?

Thanks

rumi

medu

not with progress gui components you can't, with an OCX you should be fine... just find the one that suits you most :)

rumi

Hi,
maybe im in bad section - but i would like to use it with webspeed - standart html form - but in this form will be fields like customer, date,.. and a field like: group by: _______ and this string a use in my for each, another string in my ACCUMULATE and so on..something like a dynamic queries ...

Thanks

rumi

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
A pivot table is really nothing more than an easy user interface to a temp-table which summarizes data from another table or temp-table. You can do that easily enough in ABL, but not with the same kind of user interface.

medu

oh dear, how stupid of me... of course you were looking for using it in webspeed and the fact that you mentioned the pivot table was just to refer to a plain html table with some text in in each cell, for that of course you need a dynamic query with group-by and accumulate :)

but what was your question again?

medu

A pivot table is really nothing more than an easy user interface to a temp-table which summarizes data from another table or temp-table.

this is almost like saying an olap cube it's just a bunch of cells put together, now seriously maybe we are talking about different things here... you are not actually looking for that thing that can have multiple dimensions on rows/columns and aggregates measures from the 'fact' table as cell value, with drill-down and everything aren't you?

http://www.crazybikes.com/mrcjava/servlet/CBB2E.R00180s

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Pivot tables are good for some kinds of quick and dirty analysis because they keep one from having to write code. To me, in the OpenEdge world, that is more a function of a reporting tool than ABL code. Saw a demo of CyberQuery a while back and was very impressed with it for quick and dirty stuff, but I can't speak to its limitations for hard reporting.

rumi

hi guys,
thanks for replies...medu: sorry, im stupid ;) but i wrote 'something like pivot table' ... for eaxample: i have a temp-table full of invoices - every single row is one invoice row... and i would like to display invoices from january,february and march - and accumulate std_cost - and first: i would like to group by site .. then group by buyer .... i tried to display set of data and tranform it in javascript .. but its not work well

medu

you mean like sending all those records on the client (json???) and try to group-by/accumulate using JS?

if you have a fix number of groups and don't need to drill-down then build the group-by totals on the server side and send only the grouped rows... so you'll have a plain html table like
Code:

not easy to do it, anyway... try to find something that can make ajax calls to get more data when needed, maybe you can hook up jPivot or something.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Depending on how open ended you want it, you might be able to use views to help ... and limit the size of the result set to the server, which seems like an awfully good idea.

But, if you want this really open ended, perhaps you should consider one of the reporting tools.

rumi

hi guys,
thanks for replies... tamhas: do zou have something more about views? tutorial or code sample?

thanks

rumi

medu

There is no such a thing as view's in ABL, yes you can see them in _file meta-data table but that's about all you can do with them... those are pure SQL objects and can't be accessed by the ABL engine.

Dynamic query with break-by and aggregate functionality it's definitively possible, i just did that on the 'dynamic select' engine for the JDBC driver I'm working on.

Adding a JPivot component on a web page should not be very difficult but you need a java app server to host it and it need a JDBC connection to get it's data.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
All the documentation is here http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-103525

Coming from HTML, isn't SQL an option?

But, yes, I think if this gets made concrete, one can probably solve this best with TTs and dynamic queries ... just not graphically ... or a reporting tool if you want to put control in the hands of the user. And, of course, the reporting tool is probably going to use SQL, so views are applicable.