PHP and PROGRESS DB

RealHeavyDude

You neither talk about your Progress/OpenEdge version nor about the OS on which this thing is running ...

If you want to expose ABL procedures as web services it will only work in an easy way with OpenEdge 10. IMHO, forget it with Progress V9 as there is no web service adapter available for it. But the OpenEdge 10 AppServer can connect a Progress V9 database.

You need to have the OpenEdge AppServer running the ABL procedure and the OpenEdge WSA (Web Service Adapater, comes with the AppServer license) hosted by a JSE (Java servlet engine, Tomcat is a good choice IMHO). With the ProxyGen (part of OpenEdge Studio developer license) you can generate the parts needed to deploy the web service.

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Its not about Appserver. It is just to make an OpenEdge webservice and call this webservice from within your php application like you would call any webservice.

Casper.

endriagotech

Its not about Appserver. It is just to make an OpenEdge webservice and call this webservice from within your php application like you would call any webservice.

Casper.

Would you mind including an example on this? Just like the previous poster, I have been looking everywhere and cannot find a concise method of accessing the data. I am currently running Skyward 04.10.12.02.09, which uses the Progress database, currently at 10.1B. This is all running on Windows Server 2003 SP 3. In the Progress Explorer Tool, I see that WebSpeed is running, as well as the ODBC DataServer. I have Skyward set up to connect through ODBC instead of directly. All works fine.

I have connected to the server using PHP through ODBC and can retrieve the list of tables using

select "_file-name" from pub."_file" where "_file"."_hidden" = 0

and when I iterate through the table names returned (which I have verified ARE part of the Skyward install), I run "SELECT * FROM tableName;", as well as "SELECT * FROM skyfin.tableName;" and "SELECT * FROM tableName.skyfin". None of these return any results.

I get the following error for each of the table names:

Warning: odbc_exec(): SQL error: [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Table/View/Synonym not found (7519), SQL state S0002 in SQLExecDirect in sync.php on line 18

Any idea what I can do with this? I only need to read the data, not edit it. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.