Permissions between SQL92 and 4GL _can-read

MurrayH

This is what I have
1. _user table has been populated and _can-read, _can-write etc used as well. Currently SQL92 seems to use the _can-read etc privs to block access – which is good. I didn’t think it used these though but obviously it does - correct?

2. Does the "grant select on table1 to userx" use a different set of tables for permissions? Does it override the _can-write etc? IE Can I use _can-read for 4GL and the SQL tables for ODBC?

Ta

Murray

StefGay

Hi, perhaps it's too late but...

MurrayH said:
This is what I have
1. _user table has been populated and _can-read, _can-write etc used as well. Currently SQL92 seems to use the _can-read etc privs to block access – which is good. I didn’t think it used these though but obviously it does - correct?
==> It's strange, your user may be "DBA" ? The table use in SQL92 for tables privileges is _systabauth (you can access it with its synonym SYSTABAUTH).

2. Does the "grant select on table1 to userx" use a different set of tables for permissions? Does it override the _can-write etc? IE Can I use _can-read for 4GL and the SQL tables for ODBC?
==> Yes, there's no link between the 4GL privileges (_can-read, _can-write...) and SQL92 privileges (SELECT, UPDATE...).

Ta

Murray

==> Stéphane.

zoloft70

SQL permissions

1. The SQL-92 side of progress only uses SQL permissions. By default no one has access to the data via SQL.

2. Yes there is a different set of tables that controls access to the SQL side of the data. You can not use the 4GL side to control the SQL side.
To set these permissions. Setup a user in the 4GL named sysprogress. Give sysprogress a password that you can remember. This will be the only account initially that has DAB access. Once this user has been created. Use an SQL client and login as sysprogress. Perform your Grants as needed.

Good Luck

MurrayH said:
This is what I have

Ta

Murray

MurrayH

Yes that is what I thought - it turns out the guys I were talking to actually ment the OID broker and not SQL-92, hence the confusion.

zoloft70 said:
1. The SQL-92 side of progress only uses SQL permissions. By default no one has access to the data via SQL.

2. Yes there is a different set of tables that controls access to the SQL side of the data. You can not use the 4GL side to control the SQL side.
To set these permissions. Setup a user in the 4GL named sysprogress. Give sysprogress a password that you can remember. This will be the only account initially that has DAB access. Once this user has been created. Use an SQL client and login as sysprogress. Perform your Grants as needed.

Good Luck