Performance issues : procopy vs. prorestore

Hi folks,

I am experienceing some performance issues with procopy.

I'm basically upgrading a server and need to get a number of databases from one server to another - the OS is the same, same dbase block size, etc. and no I don't have the downtime to allow a dump and reload :(

I've tried two ways - both from Server A to Server B, running all commands from Server A, and getting database onto to Server B via an NFS mount.

Method 1.

I tried a database last night with a fixed extent of 2G and a variable extent (not yet touched).

The actual data in the database is actually slightly less than 1G.

I'd expect performance to copy from server to another to be slow, but, I did it last night at it took about 2 hours.

Method 2

However, a few days ago I transferred a database by doing a prorestore (over the boxes and using an NFS mount),

This was 6 fixed extents of 2G each and one variable (not yet touched).

The total data is about 7G and it took about an hour and a half.

Any explanations please chaps. I know that procopy does loads of checks, but, is it better for me to backup the database and prorestore. confused ?? Why would procopy be slower ????? Is it doing additional checks to a prorestore ??

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi BulkLodd,

No I didn't, is about 1/2 hour (carried out on same box), but, taking into account differentce in database sizes it's still much quicker.

Cheers,
Dave.