Oracle native features

sboulanger

Greetings All,

I'm an Oracle DBA now working for a software company who develops with Progress tools and wishes to port their product(s) onto Oracle. Being new to Progress, I've been playing around with it (4GL, DataServers, etc) over the last couple of months and have been using these forums frequently. However, I haven't been able to find any posts/documents related to using Progress along with Oracle 8/8i native features (ex: constraints, partitions, bitmap index, materialized views, etc.). I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had any experience in this field.

Thanks,
Steeve

sboulanger

Rares,

Thanks for your reply. I actually read that white paper earlier, but unfortunatly they don't say much about which Oracle features are supported for the physical datamodel implementation. As an example, after migrating the sports2000 Progress database to Oracle using the DataServer utilities, I noticed that there was no Primary Keys nor Foreign Keys created in the Oracle schema. Is that "common practice", or is it a limitation of the migration utility? Normaly, Oracle uses the constraints metadata to generate the best queries execution plan. If there is no constraint in the schema, not only there is a chance for data to be corrupted if modify outside of Progress scope, but also Oracle doesn't have all the info to generate the fastest execution plans.

I'd like to hear from people using Progress along with Oracle 8i as a backend and see if they're using features like:
- CBO + statistics
- constraints (PK, FK, CK)
- partitions (tables + indexes)
- bitmap indexes
- IOTs
- Parallel Query & Parallel DML
- Materialized Views

Thanks,
Steeve