OpenEdge Architect

sdjensen

I'm running OpenEdge 10.2A in eclipse for testing the new functions in 10.2a.

We have like 500 programs and 500 include files and it seems to me that OE cannot handle that amount.
I connect to 6 different databases at the same time and even that none of the tables have the same name, OE marks some of my programs to have an error because table x is unknown or ambiguous. If I hover the cursor over the table it says <db.x>.
So it knows where my table is and it should not mark it as an error.

If there is an error in a include file, the line number for the error is completely wrong and to no help at all.

In the outline sometimes the function list is not updated when I make a change. I have to close and open the file to get it updated.
Include files sometimes only show the first 8 characters of the filename.

After I have installed the program it was missing the proedit folder and I had to copied it from another progress instance (10.0b).

I was hoping this version was better than 10.1a, but as it is now I unable to use as a development tool.

Is it just me that have a bad installation or bad experience?

Comments are welcome. :)

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
To me, it sounds like there are problems in your setup. My application is *much* bigger and I have no problem, although I don't use multiple databases.

I know there are some performance issues with large programs, large includes, and deeply nested includes, but 10.2A has some settings to control the parsing done by the AST for this situation.

I'd go to tech support and see if they can't get you set up right.

sdjensen

Re: OpenEdge Architect (update)

Thanks for your reply.

I have reinstalled the program around 10 times now and I have tried to install it to another machine without the problem with missing files.

I was comparing the files from my machine HP nw9440 laptop, english xp sp3, with the other machine where to error did not occur.
IBM laptop R51e danish setup and the IBM had around 150 extra files even that I have done the same installation on both machines.

The missing files was a lot of files from the oeide folder and I have no idea why the files was missing in the first place. I have removed every single progress folder/file from the HP including a sweep through registry.

So if anyone get's the messagebox with missing "proedi\vslick.vsm" when opening OE then add "UseSourceEditor=no" to [startup] in bin/progress.ini.

Further more be very carefully when using &scoped-define in you programs. Architect does not like it. If you have problems with it, try surrounding your code with do: end. even you are inside a block.

rick.souza

SDJensen,

Reading the description of your problems, maybe I can help you. Our friend Tamhas may be correct. It really sounds you have an installation problem. When I install Progress, I always set the "Complete" option. Doing so, I had never problems like the Edit not working. Copying the Proedit directory from one old version to the new one, does not look to be good, also. Unistall with "Revo Unistaller". It may be good.

About the problem: "unknown or ambiguous table ..." it looks to be a co-existence of tables with the same name in more than one DB. I work with an apllication with more than 20 DBs and some tables are present in two DBs. To solve problems like this, we use the "DEFINE BUFFER" statement. Something like this:

DEFINE BUFFER prog_dtsul FOR hr.prog_dtsul.
DEFINE BUFFER modul_dtsul FOR hr.modul_dtsul.
DEFINE BUFFER procedimento FOR hr.procedimento.

For example, the table "prog_dtsul" is present in two DBs: "hr" and "mgadm". This way, we "fool" the Progress that, after this declaration, every time it finds the "prog_dtsul" table, it knows its from "hr" database to be considered in the compile-time. So, the executable code is generated with the right "db.table", ok?

Try to identify the tables co-existences and make an include file like: i-buffers.i, where you will define the buffers for those tables. This file has to be called in the top of each necessary program, in the "Definitions Section".

Hope this can help you anyway.

b-707

Hello All.
We have just installed the OpenEdge Architect trial (was a part of 10.2b trial package).
I have two issues with it.
1) Debugger just doesn't work. I set breakpoints, run as or debug as, but it seems never stops.
2) Intellisense doesn't work within webspeed script blocks. Impossible to set breakpoints within webspeed too.

Do you have any ideas, guys?

TY

sdjensen

Hello All.
We have just installed the OpenEdge Architect trial (was a part of 10.2b trial package).
I have two issues with it.
1) Debugger just doesn't work. I set breakpoints, run as or debug as, but it seems never stops.
2) Intellisense doesn't work within webspeed script blocks. Impossible to set breakpoints within webspeed too.

Do you have any ideas, guys?

TY

I don't think that you can debug webspeed programs as the code is run on the server side.

b-707

Actually, any debugger should work on the server side code (when it is running locally). But I am surprised the OA doesn't recognize WebSpeed block as ABL stuff.