OpenEdge 10.2B03 - Linux - Access to data administration

Matias Borra

Hi there... I'm trying to access data administration to load d and df files on a new database. I've read that the command should be /usr/dlc/bin/mpro -rx -p _admin.p. This command opens an application similar to data administration but saying Data Dictionary, and I just have some options available but not all. So I can't administrate the database as I need.

Could someone help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Matías.

trx

You need to connect to database F3->Database->Connect. If you are connected and options are not available then probably you are not licensed to use those functions (you need development license).

Matias Borra

I don't think that I need a development license because Load DF file is available, but after loading the database structure (and validating it was correctly loaded) the Load D file is unavailable, just like some other options.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
ehm I might be missing something but did you try:

Code:
mpro <path-to-database>/<databasename> -p dict.p -rx

This should start the data adminsistration.

Regards,
Casper.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
ehm I might be missing something but did you try:

Code:
mpro <path-to-database>/<databasename> -p dict.p -rx

This should start the data adminsistration.

Regards,
Casper.

Ok I missed something... coffee.. skip my remarks.. Like Tom (implicitely) said, its a license issue. You probably have no development license there.

RealHeavyDude

You need to have a development license installed in order to run the data administration tools from the menu. Full stop.

That is how it has been forever - nobody likes it but, that's how it is.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Matias Borra

Hi all.

I've attached an image with the result of the showcfg command.

I can't beleive that I need to have development license for loading D files. I may understand if LOAD DF file is unavailable, taking into account that I should recompile after loading a DF file, and for compiling I need to have a development license. But loading D files doesn't have any relation with any development purpose.

Can anybody clearly explain this?

Thanks in advance.

Matías.

Attachments

• Pantallazo.png
    Pantallazo.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 68

RealHeavyDude

Somehow the powers that be at Progress decided that the data administration tool is strictly a development tool. Is that clear to you?

But, you could still run the procedure which is launched from the data administration menu from your own procedure which allows you to load the .d files without a development license. Only you need to develop your procedure somewhere ...

Why don't you use the binary dump/load which is available without any development license?

RealHeavyDude

You're welcome.

Just because I love to work with Progress products does not mean that I agree with Progress' sales strategy. But that is subject to a multitude of discussions in Progress related forums.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The ability to load data or schema without using the dictionary tools is something which the *developer* can easily provide. The local site then has compiled code to perform this function. Consider it a safety factor.

RealHeavyDude

Traditionally Progress mostly relies on application partners which sell their Progress based application to their customers. Direct end-users which develop their own applications for their own needs should have a developer license at hand which allows them to use these tools. If you are a customer of an application partner you are basically stuck without their support. Probably that's why these tools are bound to a development license. Not for technical reasons, but for business ones.

carlosaortolan

Hello,

I have the Progress database V 9.0 b (runtime license)
I need to do a binary D&L (dump and load) to optimize performance.
Please tell me which command (example: proutil) should I run for export the DEFINITIONs of this database.

Note: I have no Developmment License. ( Admin Menu from DATA ADMINISTRATION is disable)

regards
Carlos

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Is this system also running on Windows 95?

You could do a much better job of optimizing performance if you dump 9.0b (which is not only ancient, obsolete and unsupported but buggy too...) and loaded in to 10.2b06. Or 11.

JustMe

I am new to this so if you already knew this, sorry. The database has to be connected for you to use most of the options.