Open Edge 10.1b Conversion

anoobbhaskar

I have an openedge database running under 10.1B RISC platform. I want to convert the existing DB to 10.2B Itanium platform. Could you please suggest me a fastest way to migrate the data base. Currently the database has around 70GB of data. Usually dump and load will take time and there will be a reindexing in the destination server as part of the dump and load as well. Can you please suggest me the options to reduce the down time.

cj_brandt

look on the progress KB and you will see that a backup / restore is allowed between a RISC and Itanium platform. No need to dump and load.

You then run the updatevst script after the db is on 10.2B Itanium platform and you should be ready to go.

Another item - Progress read performance for records in memory seems to be slower on Itanium than other similar models. Don't know why.

cj_brandt

I know very little about the HP servers. I know that our HA and DR servers only have 1 or 2 CPU's when you look at glance and some of the big prod servers are around 16. I haven't noticed a difference in read performance between any of them.

anoobbhaskar

The machine has 8 core CPU with 32 GB RAM.

As per the progress documentation , ITANIUM and RISC are considered to be different platform. Can you please confirm if backup and restore would work with out Dump and Load? Or the issue is only with the AI Rollforward.

The RISC data base is in Type I storage and db size almost reached the maximum size of the storage area so we also want to convert the DB to Type II as well.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
First things first: add another extent to the storage area that is filling up so your database doesn't shut down. Then plan your migration to Type II storage areas.