Open Edge 10.0 Requirements

PJan8724

Hello All,

I have a quick question about hardware requirements for Open Edge 10.0B03.

We are going to upgrading our Progress Db to OE 10.0 but when we do this, we will also be getting a new server for it. What I'm trying to find out is the number of processors OE 10.0 will support and the amount of RAM that is will supported. In other words if we get a 4 Proc machine with 4GB of RAM, will it take advantage of the 4 Procs or will it only use 1 of the Procs. Again will it take advantage of the 4GB of RAM or not. If so will it take advantage of more like say 4 Dual Core Procs and 8GB of RAM.

The documentation I found on the Progress KB is only telling the minimum requirements for the server and that I Win 2003 is supported. Beyond that it doesn't answer the questions above. Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete J.

cmorgan

Pete,

OE will take advantage of whatever processing power the OS gives it. Whether you have 1, 2 or 4 processors is transparent to the RDBMS (athough you can use -spin to tune performce for mult-processor systems).

Assuming you are using a 32bit OS, each database can only reference (about) 2GB of memory. Of course, additional memory may be used by the OS and other applications, so 4GB is not overkill even if you only have 1 database, especially on Windoze.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Progress "takes advantage of" multiple processors whenever they are present.

It does a (much) better job of this if you have an "Enterprise" license. With an Enterprise license you can use "spin locks" (aka "mutexes") to control access to shared memory which is much more efficient. You also get helper processes that handle IO asynchronously in the background.

32 bit executables are limited to approximately 2GB of shared memory. But there is lots of private, unshared, memory used by each client and 4GB isn't a whole lot. You'll use it. (Heck, if this is a Windows server you probably need 4Gb just to run the screen saver ;) )

Sizing a machine is, however, more about the load that the application is going to put on it than it is about the particular release of OpenEdge. You should be looking at what your application needs first and foremost.