Question On Performance

I need to know what would be the appropriate way to raise the database, i Progress 9.1D. Runs on Windows Server 2008, the problem is that the access is very slow, even with good indexes per table. Any help would be grateful.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
the appropriate way to raise the database
Can you define what you mean by "raise the database"? Are you asking how to improve database application performance? There is a lot to be said about that subject but so far we know very little about your environment and systems, apart from the fact that you are running an old operating system and a very very old version of Progress. So I believe there will be an upper limit to how much you will improve performance until you upgrade.

Without more details that's all I can say.

RealHeavyDude

I can only second what Rob said.

But, for a starter:
  • Upgrade the operating system to a recent version or switch to a recent version of a supported Linux.
  • Upgrade to a recent version of OpenEdge 11 ( Progress V9 is nearly 20 years old ).
  • Replace your server with recent technology ( assuming since you are running an outdated version of Windows server that your hardware is also outdated ).
I know that is not what you want to hear. But you can't expect some 20 years old software to perfectly cope with today's performance requirements.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You say you have good indexes per table. How do you know they are good? Are you profiling your code?
And I'd second everything my venerable colleagues have said! :)