OE 10.0 Backups and Progress Explorer

PJan8724

Hello All,

I've got a quick question regarding the Progress Explorer tool. I've got a test server running OE 10.0B02 on it. I'm currently testing OE 10.0 so that the company can make the switch from Progress 9.1c to OE 10.0.

I'm using the Progress Explorer tool in order to start the database initially and in the event that the server is rebooted. However I have a batch file that I use in order to do weekly offline backups of the database. This file brings down the database and then re-starts it once the back up is complete. However after a few test runs, I've noticed that once the database has been restarted via the batch file (command line), the Progress Explorer Tool no longer recognizes the fact that the database is up and running. Which isn't a good thing, I think. Is there a way to get the Progress Explorer Tool to recongize the fact that the data is up and running once the database has been started via command line or batch file?

Thanks,

Pete J.

ddavis

You should look into doing online backups removing the need to stop and start the db for nightly backups.

To answer your question, you use the commandline dbman -db dbname -start to start the database through the admin server and progress explorer will recognize that it is running. So, modify your batch file to use dbman instead of whatever command you are currently using to start the db.

You can change the stop to use dbman also, but that's not required.

PJan8724

Hey ddavis,

As far as nightly backups are concerned, I use an online backup on a nightly basis and only backup the database via offline backup once a week per company specs.

I'm not really the best when it comes to Progress in general, but I'm using the _mprosrv command to start the database up after the offline which a bunch of parameters like -S -N -L -B -n -Mn and so on. Will I be able to use those same parameters by using the dbman to start the database?

Thanks,

Pete J.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

If you start the database with dbman, then you have configured the database in the progress explorer, there you can set the startup parameters and parameterfile.
Don't forget the portnumber for the adminserver if the adminserver has a different then default portnumber ( I was thinking of your previous post :D )

Casper.

ddavis

> I'm using the _mprosrv command to start the database up after the offline which a bunch of parameters like -S -N -L -B -n -Mn and so on.

Open progress explorer, set the configuration to match these parameters. If you don't know what a particular parameter translates to in the explorer framework, you can look it up in the db admin guide, or ask here.

The info you enter into progress explorer is stored in a conmgr.properties file inside the progress install directory. Calls to dbman tell the admin service to look up this information and start the db with those parameters.

Yes, it starts it in multi user mode.