ODBC Error "Error in Row"

cywong119

Dear all,

After issuing a query "Select fieldA from TableA" through ODBC, the ODBC return a error "Error in Row".

I find that when userA are updating/deleting/adding record to TABLE A and userB are retrieving record from Table A at the same time. Then userB receives "Error in Row" error. It should not be a problem since userB just retrieve record from tableA for read only. However, ODBC return this error.

How to slove this problem? Someone tell me that some isolation level setting should be done on the Progress Database. Is this true? Could anyone advise me?

Christine

mattosed

Hi Christine :)

I have had the same message using ODBC with Excel.
Did you solve this problem?

Best Regards

Eduardo de Mattos
Process Manager
Merial Saúde Animal Ltda.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Then that is not your problem. I usually see this when there is some violation of integrity constraints or some such. I.e., data that is valid to ABL, but not SQL.

mattosed

Ok...

I understand.

But unfortunately I'm living with this problem a long time …

I have tried a lot of changes in parameters and ways to solve but without success…

Best regards

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If the problem is an incompatibility of the data with SQL expectations, you are not likely to fix the problem through parameters and such.

Is the problem repeatable? Does it break the same place every time on the same table? Can you try to isolate specific records where the problem occurs and then check them to see what might be wrong?

Have you run dbtool to check for width issues?

We aren't going to be able to give you a magic bullet which will suddenly make the problem go away, but we might be able to help you find and fix the source of the problem.

mattosed

Thanks tamhas more one time...:)

But this problems happen in a lot tables... and without a specific record.
I’m believing than Christine comments is the better answer. Something happens with ODBC engine when it tries read information in moment other user or system is updating the database.

It show me a conception problem between Progress and Merant when built the ODBC drive...

Nice weekend Tamhas

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, hard telling about Christine since it was from a long time ago. I have used the Progress ODBC drivers heavily reporting on systems which were busy being updated at the same time, so I really don't think that is it, especially if you are using READ UNCOMMITTED.

Do I dare ask what version? Whatever it is, I would be sure to be up to the latest service pack and, anticipating it is an old version, I would consider getting current. While I have done a lot of SQL reporting on older databases back then, the SQL drivers are an area which have received substantial improvement in every release, often even in point releases.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, bad start. If someone absolutely insists on 9.1, it should at least be 9.1E with the latest service pack, but you are missing a lot not being on 10.1B or C.

mattosed

Wow....

I need comment with my IT area about this... Now I'm process manager in my job and work with data exploration tools in Excel using ODBC.

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Really updating can do a big difference.[/FONT]

Thanks Tamhas...