ODBC error (codepage issue)

beeworks

my odbc is version is merant 3.6 32 bit progress sql92 v9.1d

i have multi progress databases, if my regional settings is set to english, i connect all the databases but one of my database does not allow turkish characters.

if my regionlak settings set to turkish i connect the database which has tr characther problem in english regional settings and i can not connect other databases , it gives connection error 219901

what is your thoughts?

thnx

RealHeavyDude

Re: odbc error -219901

Hello beeworks,

Welcome to internationalization!

I think you're hitting a code page issue.

AFAIK, using the English locale will set the code page of the driver to iso8859-1 which is not compatible with the Turkish code page and when you use the Turkish locale it is not compatible with the iso8859-1(?) code pages of the other databases.

When you need to connect multiple databases which use different code pages simultaneously, IMHO, you must use a locale (client code page) which supports all the other code pages. AFAIK, that would unicode, UTF-8.

The underlying problem is, that as soon as code pages are not compatible (meaning not all characters of one code page are present in the other and vice versa) you will either screw up character data - or the software you use, Progress in this case, is intelligent enough to prevent this from happening in giving you errors or rejecting the connect alltogether.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

RealHeavyDude

Rob, it would be helpful to give you an advise if one would know which parameters you are using plus some additional information about the database. Maybe you're hitting a code page issue too.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

beeworks

Dear friend,
thnx for your efficient reply i will work on it and feed back.

thank you very much.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
@beeworks:

I removed all other posts spammed in old threads. Please don't revive old threads again for asking questions. Start a new one. Furthermore posting 1 question with a good title and detailed description of your problem is enough.
So don't go around posting the same question all over this forum.

@toallwhorepliedtheotherthreads:

Sorry but I had to remove your replies too, this thread covers it all IMO.

Casper.

beeworks

@beeworks:

I removed all other posts spammed in old threads. Please don't revive old threads again for asking questions. Start a new one. Furthermore posting 1 question with a good title and detailed description of your problem is enough.
So don't go around posting the same question all over this forum.

@toallwhorepliedtheotherthreads:

Sorry but I had to remove your replies too, this thread covers it all IMO.

Casper.

Sorry thats my fault , thnx