ODBC broker

balaji.n

Hi,

We have few Progress ODBC broker running which helps some VB application to connect to Progress database.. Recently when we tried to stop ODBC broker and re-start it, we got this error message..

09:04:52 OIBRKR: Start Open Interface Broker. (2583)
09:04:52 OIBRKR: The port 2501 is already in use. (785)
09:04:52 OIBRKR: Unable to open network session layer. (2904)
09:04:52 OIBRKR: ** The server terminated with exit code 88. (800)

We have to re-boot the server to clear the port.. Is there any other way to get this ODBC broker started without rebooting the server?

Thanks in advance...

Work with odbc broker without any problem on 9.1D05 and 9.1D08, search on progress support if it was fixed on a service pack (on windows plateform)

We have old version 7.3E.. planning to migrate to 9.1D in few months..
How to setup ODBC broker in Unix for 9.1D version ?

Thanks for your reply..

Hello,
i've never install obdc broker on unix system, so if u know how declaredatabase on unix , u've to search on progress knowledge base. It's another instance of defaultservergroup of u're database, thedifference is u're acces: only sql92 and not 4GL (as u want). U've tochange -n -Mn parameters and the nb of server and client on u're broker, and affect a port number for u're database .....

Hope it's help

balaji.n said:
Hi,

We have few Progress ODBC broker running which helps some VB application to connect to Progress database.. Recently when we tried to stop ODBC broker and re-start it, we got this error message..

09:04:52 OIBRKR: Start Open Interface Broker. (2583)
09:04:52 OIBRKR: ** The server terminated with exit code 88. (800)

We have to re-boot the server to clear the port.. Is there any other way to get this ODBC broker started without rebooting the server?

Thanks in advance...

I have just received the exact same error. We have 25 progress databases (9.1D) running as the back end of an accounting package that we use on a win2k server. We decided we wanted to use Crystal Reports to supplement the reporting capabilities in the accounting package so we created a sql connector for each of the 25 4gl connectors with the following startup parameters:

4gl: -m3 -Mpb 5 -N tcp -S [servicename] -L 100000
sql: -Mn 9 -Mpb 4 -N tcp -S [servicename] -L 100000

Upon successfully restarting the connectors I went home. The next morning almost all of the 25 4gl connectors failed (nice red x in procontrol) but the sql connectors were running (green check) in procontrol. Interestingly enough I could connect to the databases through the accounting software which should have been dependent on the 4gl connector, though sometimes the connection took several minutes before going though. Since none of the error messages I saw in procontrol (Spawned process failed. See EVENT VIEWER) ever showed up in the event viewer, I looked around for log files to see if any salient facts presented themselves there. I found the exact error you described above.

I rebooted the server, and procontrol pegs one of the processors to 100%, and takes several minutes to display details. The server came back up, all processes started with the sql connectors higher in the auto start list than the 4gl connectors. Hopefully a reboot after startup parameter changes was all that was necessary.

jboymel said:
Hopefully a reboot after startup parameter changes was all that was necessary.

It works for a while and then users have problems connecting. I tried using the PROWDOG app, will see if that helps.

Back