Obtain Values From ASP Pages

crjunk

The front-end of our extranet uses an ASP web page to log a user into our system so that they can see our list of online applications. Each user account has a unique ID that is used to query only their records. I am able to pass this ID to other ASP online applications through a session variable.

My question is how can I pass this ID to my WebSpeed application? I could dynamically create a URL that links to my WebSpeed app and have the ID in the URL, but I don't want to do this because someone could easily change this number and then be able to pull up records that do not belong to them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
CR Junk

crjunk

For anyone who is curious, I somewhat accomplished this - although it is not a very secure way to pass this type of data.

I created an encoding procedure in my ASP page that will encode the UserName, UserID, date/time. I then had my ASP page to dynamically create a URL to the WebSpeed file. The encoded info is appended to the URL:

http://MyServer/scripts/wsisa.dll/WService=eappbr/MyProgress.p?c=IR60BXH4HE8FH4U&n=TP4WKG&l=IR6IR69BX2DQM0P8FPOFO2V

In my CGI script, I have 3 procedures to decode the UserName, UserID, and date/time. I have the date/time in the URL so that the user cannot bookmark this page and call up the CGI Script without logging in. There is a procedure that runs in the CGI that checks to see if this date/time is over 1 hour old. If it is, the user has to log back into the system.

CR Junk