Normalization

dbacdog

we have over 600 tables, is there a way to check for redundant data. Maybe a ABL program.
over 2000 concurrent users

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
What do you mean by "redundant data"? That covers a multitude of sins.

One common problem that fits the description is "redundant indexes". It is pretty common for applications to have lots of indexes defined and for a good number of them to be subsets of others. Which often means that they are never used, wasting space and hurting performance (because they have to be updated even though they are never used). Is that sort of thing your concern?

It is also common for certain fields to be duplicated in multiple tables. Often with slightly different names. Frequently with poor synchronization of supposedly synchronized values. Are you looking for that kind of problem?

Or maybe you're concerned that the same value is being populated many times? Like 113 slightly different customer records for "Progress Software"?

If you are primarily concerned with normalization, the relationships between tables and the fields that those tables contain then you need some tooling to help you with db design. I have heard that PDSOE might have something along those lines. But I have not tried to use it. There are also lots of 3rd party options. Naturally they all assume you are running SQL database so that will result in some "challenges".

None of that would care if you have 1 user, 2,000 users, or 10,000 users. So if the user count is a significant tidbit you must be thinking of something else. I don't know what that would be though.

Ditto HPUX. That doesn't seem like it would be relevant. But if it is you should explain how.

dbacdog

I know user count or OS does not matter in this post. Just a habit.
Over the last 25 years we have added lots of tables, indexes, and modified over 5,000 programs. I want to know if our database is normalize or not. From a front end perspective, I don't know if users are inputting the same data more then once or twice, etc... I see tables that have the same data, however, does not mean it is a bad thing,......I just thought maybe there is a tool, or some other way to see if our database is good.